Here is my latest breastfeeding update:
I can't tell you how happy I am to finally be successful with breastfeeding...it only took 6 weeks (that last little bit was said with sarcasm!). I'm convinced that no matter how hard I tried to breastfeed, it wouldn't have worked up until this point. For some reason, whether it was the tongue tie (it was clipped 3 days after birth) or the fact that she had a small mouth or that her mouth muscles weren't developed enough, she was not ready to breastfeed. I had pretty much given up at 4 weeks and I'm pretty sure that I was borderline postpartum depressed. Because of this, I decided it would be best to pump breast milk to help regain my sanity and to get over the fact that I felt like a failure since breastfeeding wasn't working. And I'll admit, two weeks into not trying to breastfeed, I felt soooo much better! I realized I wasn't a failure and that feeding my baby, no matter how I did it, was what ultimately mattered.
But...after making my 6 week postpartum checkup at the birth center, the lactation consultant asked for me to give her one more chance to see if we could get Mabel to latch and breastfeed. I was reluctant (I didn't want to set myself up for disappointment again) but I thought, 'At this point, what do I have to lose'? So upon meeting with her at my appointment, Mabel latched effortlessly. Seriously!?! I was shocked. My baby who screamed and fussed at my breast suddenly decided she wanted to breastfeed! We've been successfully breastfeeding for almost a week now...and I'm glad we didn't give up.
Now, I honestly don't want anyone to think that I'm only pro-breastfeeding. I'm 'pro' whatever makes both mommy and baby happy. I swear I would be deep into postpartum depression if I wouldn't have taken my 2 week break of trying to breastfeed. So I'm really glad bottle feeding was an option. If breastfeeding wouldn't have miraculously worked at my last lactation consult meeting, I would have stayed with pumping only and I would have been happy. Although, I probably would have switched to formula feeding more quickly due to pumping being such a pain and taking soooo much time!
Anyway, I just thought I'd share this part of my journey with you. :)
*Got a second to click and vote?*








2 comments:
Breastfeeding is so much harder than I expected. My son is 5 weeks and finally latched using a nipple shield last week. I haven't tried feedings without it yet.
I just came across your blog and I am loving reading your posts. Congrats on being able to breastfeed your new little one. It is NOT as easy as some may say. I have 4 children and I mad it about 3 months with my first, 5-6 months with my second, back to 3 with my third and still nursing my 4th at 14 months! Trying to wean, but she still wakes up at night on occasion, so as long as she's happy! :) It takes a lot of patience. (not to say that people who don't are not patient....just every baby is different. Congrats again!
Post a Comment